67+ Shocking SEO Ads Stats Your Agency Needs To Know In 2021
Let’s face it, everyone loves the allure of ‘free traffic’ from Google, however the reality is that SEO can take a lot of really hard work.
This leaves many marketers scratching their heads and wondering whether SEO is the right investment for their business and for their client’s businesses.
This video by Brian Dean at Backlinko breaks down the essential SEO For Beginners, and lays out a framework for ranking your site in 2021.
Our intent with this guide is to arm you with the facts and knowledge necessary to make smarter and more informed decisions, and to be able to impress your clients.
Many clients are skeptical and wary, but our goal here is to give you the tools that you need to present your ideas and strategies, while maintaining your high level of professionalism.
Fast SEO Stats For Marketers:
- Google is a beast. In 2021 it has accounted for over 70% of all global search traffic. In 2nd place is Baidu at 13%, Bing in 3rd place at 12%, and Yahoo in 4th with a measly 2%.
- Google receives over 3.8 Million searches each minute – or roughly 2 Trillion (with a T!) each year.
- Of the billions of searches that happen each day, roughly 15% of daily searches are new to Google – meaning there are always new and emerging opportunities.
- People don’t like to scroll: the first five search results account for nearly 68% of all clicks.
- Google’s search algorithm is constantly evolving and uses more than 200 factors to rank websites (some weighted more than others).
- High-quality content and backlinks are believed to be the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search (however with SEO, nothing can be confirmed 100% – Google is very secretive).
- 57% of marketing executives polled said that on-page content optimization was their most effective SEO tactic.
- Top position articles on Google had an average length of 2,400 words.
- Similarly, the average word count of a page served through voice search is 2,300 words.
- It is predicted that 55% of households will own a smart speaker (Alexa, Siri) by 2022.
- 91% of all pages on Google never receive any organic traffic. Largely because they have zero backlinks.
- At least 55% of pages indexed by Google do not have a single backlink.
- In general, as pages get more backlinks, their share of organic traffic from Google increases
- Important: Top #1 ranked pages on Google’s SERP have nearl 4x more backlinks than those below them. Suggesting backlinks are highly important for rankings.
- Four of the top ranking factors are # of website visits, the time on site, # of pages per session, and bounce rate – most of which falls under on-page SEO optimizations.
- Breaking down by device, In 2020, 55% of all global web traffic came from mobile devices, 42% from desktop. Meaning we have officially moved into a mobile-first digital economy.
- It is predicted that by 2025, nearly 75% of all internet use will occur solely via mobile devices.
- It is believed by 36% of SEO experts that the headline, title and meta tags are the most important SEO ranking factors.
- 70% of searches include four words or more – meaning that users have very specific intent.
- It was found that long-tail keyword searches (4 or more words) have a click-through rate that is roughly 5% higher than short-tail searches.
- 70% of marketers believe that SEO is more effective than PPC for growing their business.
- Google’s advertising solutions have helped more than 1.3 million businesses, website publishers, and nonprofits nationwide.
- 61% of marketers polled agreed that improving SEO and increasing their organic presence was their #1 inbound marketing strategy.
- “Where to buy” + “near me” mobile queries have increased over 3x in the past two years – indicating serious intent for local results.
- It has been found that updating and refreshing old blog posts with new content and images (yearly updates) can boost organic traffic by as much as 106%.
- Images are served for nearly 30% of searches on Google.
- Growth in video: video has shown to be 50x more likely to get organic ranking results over plain text results.
- 62% of Gen Z and Millennial users are demanding visual search more than any other new technology.
- 41% of voice search answers came from a featured snippet – indicating the high importance of ranking for the snippet.
- “Best” + “right now” mobile searches have increased by over 2x in the past two years.
- Less than 1% of Google users will click on a result from the 2nd page – meaning that if you aren’t on Page 1, you aren’t anywhere.
Essential SEO Statistics You Need To Know
SEO is constantly evolving and changing as the Google algorithm is constantly being updated and as other marketers get smarter and smarter.
Keeping informed and staying on top of your SEO A-game is essential if you want to stay competitive in 2021 and beyonds.